How long has it been since you compared quotes for the cheapest auto insurance rates in Honolulu, HI? Honolulu buyers have a choice when searching for affordable Honda HR-V insurance. You can either waste hours contacting agents to get rate comparisons or use the internet to get rate quotes.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for auto insurance so we're going to tell you the quickest way to quote coverages for a Honda and find the cheapest rates either online or from Honolulu insurance agents.
If you have a current car insurance policy or just want cheaper rates, you can use these tips to get lower rates without reducing coverage. The purpose of this post is to let you in on the most effective ways to compare rates and some tips to save money. Comparison shoppers just have to understand how to compare insurance rates from many companies at once.
How to compare Honda HR-V insurance rate quotes in Honolulu
Getting cheap car insurance pricing is pretty simple and can save money. You just need to invest a little time getting comparison quotes to find out which insurance company has affordable Honolulu auto insurance quotes.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Honolulu, HI. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you get rates from several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Discounts can help to save on Honda HR-V insurance in Honolulu
Insurance is not inexpensive, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not even know about. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but some discounts are required to be specially asked for before being credited.
- Distant College Student Discount - Any of your kids who live away from home at college and don't have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Paperless Signup - A few insurance companies may give you up to $50 get Honolulu auto insurance on your computer.
- Telematics Data - Insureds that choose to allow data collection to scrutinize driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - It's a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver's ed class if offered at their school.
- Responsible Driver Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren't that lucky. Any amount of discount will lower the amount you pay for coverage.
Some of the larger companies that may offer quotes with these discounts may include but are not limited to:
If you want affordable Honda HR-V insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in every state. To locate insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Honolulu, follow this link.
Buying auto insurance from Honolulu insurance agencies
Certain consumers would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting local agencies is definitely important in Honolulu.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you want to quote rates from one company in particular, just visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you're trying to find a local Honolulu insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents that you can select. Auto insurance agents can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it is important to understand the difference between them since it may influence the selection process.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents can sell policies from many different companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you need to get insurance quotes from at least one independent agent to maximize your price options. Many can place coverage with mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent agencies in Honolulu who may be able to give you free rate quotes.
- First Insurance Co of Hawaii Limited
1100 Ward Ave # Main, Honolulu, HI 96814, Honolulu, 96818 - Honolulu, HI 96818 - (808) 527-7777 - View Map
- Dongbu Insurance
1440 Kapiolani Blvd # 950 - Honolulu, HI 96814 - (808) 942-5353 - View Map
- Anita Butay Diniega
1088 Bishop St #2210 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 841-5915 - View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers frequently buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the brand name rather than low rates.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Honolulu that can give you comparison quotes.
- Gwenette Higa - State Farm Insurance Agent
841 Bishop St #203 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 531-9918 - View Map
- Jef Saragena - State Farm Insurance Agent
677 Ala Moana Blvd Ste 310 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 951-0866 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Boyd Kauhane
1682 Kalakaua Ave #1 - Honolulu, HI 96826 - (808) 638-3673 - View Map
Choosing the best car insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How long has their agency been open in Honolulu?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Car insurance is an important decision
Even though it can be expensive, car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your HR-V, almost all lenders will stipulate that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Honda at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in Hawaii overpays more than $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Auto insurance coverage breakdown
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and vandalism. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Due to the fact that many Hawaii drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (20/40/10 in Hawaii), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these limits are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Collision coverage protection
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as backing into a parked car, scraping a guard rail, sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a mailbox and crashing into a building. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your HR-V in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Insurance for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses for hospital visits, rehabilitation expenses, nursing services and EMT expenses. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other people or property. This insurance protects YOU against other people's claims, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 20/40/10 which means a limit of $20,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $40,000, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims like medical expenses, legal defense fees, court costs, attorney fees and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Hawaii requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but you should consider buying higher limits.
You can find cheap coverage
Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller providers only sell coverage through local independent agents. More affordable car insurance in Honolulu can be sourced both online and from local agencies, so you need to compare both to have the best rate selection.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to reduce Honda HR-V insurance auto insurance rates online in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Honda HR-V rate quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
To learn more, link through to the resources below:
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Affordable Hawaii Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Hawaii Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Impreza in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)