How long has it been since you shopped around for more affordable Chevy Tahoe insurance in Honolulu? Are you irritated from sacrificing to buy insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Hawaii drivers.
Inconceivable but true, over 70% of drivers have remained with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared insurance rates at all. The average driver in Hawaii could cut their rates by 40% a year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Due to the fact that there are so many choices of insurance companies that have affordable insurance for a Chevy Tahoe in Honolulu, it can be diffult for people to locate the cheapest insurance provider.
The are a couple different ways to obtain and compare prices from car insurance companies in your area. The best method to compare rates consists of shopping online.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it replaces the need to actually drive to different Honolulu agent offices. The ability to buy insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the peace of mind of a licensed agent. Although you can get prices online and have a local agent actually service the policy. When quoting car insurance, remember that having more price comparisons helps you find a lower rate.
The providers in the list below can provide free rate quotes in Hawaii. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$200||$396||$320||$18||$96||$1,030||$86|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$286||$506||$358||$22||$106||$1,278||$107|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$144||$230||$248||$14||$74||$710||$59|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$286||$506||$358||$22||$106||$1,278||$107|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$158||$314||$358||$22||$106||$958||$80|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$162||$256||$346||$20||$104||$888||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium costs do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can impact premiums noticeably.
Chevrolet Tahoe liability-only versus full coverage
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Chevrolet Tahoe insurance prices with and without physical damage coverage. The rate quotes are based on no claims or violations, $1,000 deductibles, single male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no exact rule of when to stop paying for full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevrolet Tahoe settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $4,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing you more than $400 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Get cheaper Chevy Tahoe insurance in Honolulu with discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain reductions will be credited when you purchase, but some must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Bundle and Save - If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company they may give you a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find affordable Chevrolet Tahoe insurance rates in Honolulu.
- Multi-line Discount - Select auto insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Being a homeowner can save you money since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Good Grades Discount - This discount could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Driver's Education for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers take driver's ed class in school.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think it's possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
The best auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- American Family discounts include early bird, defensive driver, TimeAway discount, air bags, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, and good driver.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for safe driver, multi-policy, youthful driver, good student, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm has savings for driver's education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, defensive driving training, multiple autos, safe vehicle, and accident-free.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including payment discounts, multi-policy, driver training, IntelliDrive, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for driver training, anti-theft, bundle, air bag, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- GEICO offers discounts including air bags, membership and employees, daytime running lights, seat belt use, federal employee, emergency military deployment, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may include discounts for homeowner, multi-policy, good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Some credits might not be offered in every state. To view providers with significant discounts in Honolulu, click here to view.
You may need advice from an insurance agent
Many people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates and also buy local. And supporting local agents is still important in Honolulu.
Once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Honolulu who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to visit any agencies because prices are sent directly to you. It's the lowest rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive auto insurance agents
If you're trying to find a good insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agents can be described as either independent or exclusive.
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing insurance rates, you absolutely need to get some free quotes from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Honolulu who may provide free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Honolulu who can help you get price quotes.
Picking the best auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Before buying a policy in Honolulu, get answers to these questions.
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
Will just any policy work for me?
Always remember that when buying insurance from an agent or online, there isn't really a one size fits all plan. Every insured's situation is different and your car insurance should unique, too. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether you may require specific advice.
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Hawaii?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
If you're not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
It's important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find big savings. Many different elements are considered when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious such as your driving record, although others are not as apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
Use one insurance company and save - Some insurance companies provide better rates to people that have more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may find better rates by buying insurance from a different company.
Cheaper rates for prior coverage - Driving your car without having proper coverage is a big no-no and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a revoked license or a big fine.
Don't skimp on liability coverage - Liability coverage will provide protection if you are ruled to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage to defend your case. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
Do you save by driving less? - The more you drive your Chevy in a year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies calculate prices based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks that do not get driven very much can get a lower rate than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It's always a good idea to double check that your insurance coverage shows the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. An incorrectly rated Tahoe can result in significantly higher rates.
Chevy Tahoe insurance loss statistics - Insurers include the past claim trends for vehicles to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that statistically have higher loss trends will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table shown below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Tahoe vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is a value of 100. Values that are below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Chevrolet Tahoe Insurance Claim Statistics
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Tahoe 4dr 2WD||82||90||105||70||63||88|
|Chevrolet Tahoe 4dr 4WD||83||89||103||68||62||80|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why you need insurance
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is required for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your vehicle, it's guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects not only your Chevy but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $820 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Shop around and save
Cheap Chevy Tahoe insurance in Honolulu can be sourced from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who don't offer rate quotes online and many times these smaller providers work with independent insurance agents.
We just showed you quite a bit of information on how to reduce Chevy Tahoe insurance prices online in Honolulu. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best prices are with a small mutual company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for 19 Year Olds in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Corolla in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Homeowners in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Waimalu, Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)