Paying cheaper prices for Chevy Volt insurance in Honolulu is always challenging for drivers who are new to comparison shopping online. Consumers have so many options that it can quickly become a real hassle to find the perfect company for you.
A recent insurance study discovered that almost 70% of insureds renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Honolulu insurance shoppers could save nearly 40% every year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate how much they could save if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Honolulu is actually very simple if you learn how to start. Virtually every car owner who is shopping for car insurance will be able to lower their premiums. But Hawaii car owners must understand the way insurance companies charge you for coverage and take advantage of how the system works.
Earn discounts on Honolulu insurance
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might find some hidden discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before they will apply.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Multi-car Discount - Insuring multiple vehicles on the same insurance policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Driving less could qualify for slightly better insurance rates than normal.
- Club Memberships - Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on insurance.
- Drivers Education - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them participate in a local driver's education class if it's offered in school.
- Home Ownership Discount - Simply owning a home can help you save on insurance since home ownership is proof of financial responsibility.
- Driving Data Discount - Drivers who elect to allow companies to analyze when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system like Allstate's Drivewise could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Honolulu auto insurance quote.
- Life Insurance - Select companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Accident Free - Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially as compared to policyholders that have many claims.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Large insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- AAA may have discounts that include education and occupation, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-policy, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for alternative fuel, homeowner, good student, switch companies, early shopping, bundle discounts, and mature driver.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for five-year accident-free, defensive driver, air bags, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, and driver training.
- Esurance includes discounts for renters, good student, paid-in-full, anti-lock brakes, Pac-12 alumni, Switch & Save, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO may include discounts for homeowner, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, safe driver, and anti-theft.
- State Farm has savings for defensive driving training, passive restraint, driver's education, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
Double check with every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer discounts in Honolulu, follow this link.
The best way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to understand auto insurance companies pay for the opportunity to provide you with a free rate quote. The one thing you need to do is provide information such as what you do for a living, deductibles desired, whether you drive to work or school, and types of safety features. Your rating data gets transmitted to many of the top insurers and they return quotes with very little delay.
To check Chevy Volt insurance prices now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The auto insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Honolulu, HI. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
You Can Change Your Insurance Rates
Many things are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable like your driving record, although others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
Battle of the sexes - Statistics demonstrate females are less aggressive when driving. However, don't assume that women are better drivers. Men and women have accidents at about the same rate, but males have accidents that have higher claims. Men also tend to receive more costly citations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Annual miles is a factor - The more you drive your Chevy annually the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars that have low annual miles receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It's a good idea to make sure your policy reflects the proper vehicle usage. An improperly rated Volt is just wasting money.
Save money with higher coverage deductibles - Coverage for physical damage, also called 'full coverage', insures against damage to your Chevy. Some instances where coverage would apply would be a dented fender, vandalism, and burglary. The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Employer can influence premiums - Do you work in a high-stress field? Careers like military generals, police officers, and medical professionals have higher premium rates in part from intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, jobs such as farmers, athletes and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Never allow your policy to lapse - Driving without insurance coverage in place is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance could result in a steep fine or even jail time. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Hawaii motor vehicle department.
Chevy Volt insurance loss statistics - Car insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle when determining insurance rates. Vehicles that are shown to have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates.
The information below illustrates the insurance loss data for Chevy Volt vehicles. For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is a value of 100. Percentage numbers below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Volt Models
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Volt Electric||89||83||81||71||73||90|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's situation is a little different and your car insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- If my Chevy Volt is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer's policy when using it for work?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Can't I get rate quotes from local Honolulu car insurance agents?
Certain consumers just want to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision A good thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this quick form, your information is immediately sent to participating agents in Honolulu who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You'll get the best rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific auto insurance provider, just search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an company should include more criteria than just the price. Any agent in Honolulu should be willing to answer these questions.
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
If you are wanting to find a local agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Honolulu can either be independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive agents generally can only insure with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company's rates so it's a take it or leave it situation. These agents are well trained on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often use the same agent mainly due to the brand name rather than having low rates.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Honolulu who can help you get price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Matthew Shido
3221 Waialae Ave Ste 386 - Honolulu, HI 96816 - (808) 737-3500 - View Map
- Gary Nakamura - State Farm Insurance Agent
1016 Kapahulu Ave #250 - Honolulu, HI 96816 - (808) 734-3265 - View Map
- Kevin Takahashi - State Farm Insurance Agent
1284 Kalani St d108 - Honolulu, HI 96817 - (808) 845-0069 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by any specific company and that gives them the ability to insure with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. If you want to switch companies, they simply switch companies in-house and you don't have to do anything. If you need lower rates, you need to compare prices from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many independent agencies also insure through lesser-known insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Listed below are Honolulu independent insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Rosten Y Tsuha Insurance Agency Inc
1350 S King St #303 - Honolulu, HI 96814 - (808) 591-5545 - View Map
- Cavanah Associates, Inc.
1100 Alakea St #2600 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 537-1970 - View Map
- Cornerstones Financial and Insurance Agency
250 Ward Ave #220 - Honolulu, HI 96814 - (808) 626-5068 - View Map
Protect your Chevy vehicle and other assets
Despite the high insurance cost for a Chevy Volt in Honolulu, paying for auto insurance is required by state law in Hawaii and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will require you to buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects not only your Chevy but also your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Honolulu overpays more than $865 each year so compare rate quotes each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Cover all your bases
A few companies do not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent agencies. Cheaper car insurance in Honolulu can be bought on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best rate selection.
We've covered many ideas to save on Chevy Volt insurance in Honolulu. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Honolulu auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest premium rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies. Regional companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Wailuku, HI? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Nurses in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Hawaii Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)