No one in their right mind looks forward to buying car insurance, particularly when the cost is too high.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. U.S. drivers could save nearly $850 each year by just comparing quotes, but most tend to underestimate the actual amount they would save if they switched. Drivers have many insurance companies to buy insurance from, and even though it's nice to have a selection, it can be more difficult to adequately compare rates.
You should make it a habit to compare prices occasionally since insurance prices tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best deal on car insurance a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rate quotes now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you're about to find out the quickest way to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Kahului auto insurance discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize their entire list of discounts very well, so below is a list both the well known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Kahului car insurance online.
- Onboard Data Collection - People who choose to allow companies to scrutinize where and when they drive by using a telematic data system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot might get better premium rates as long as the data is positive.
- Home Ownership Discount - Being a homeowner may earn you a small savings since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for several vehicles with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- E-sign - Some of the larger companies will give a small break simply for signing over the internet.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with slightly better prices than normal.
- Defensive Driving Course - Participating in a course teaching driver safety skills could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Life Insurance Discount - Larger insurance carriers have better prices if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
One last thing about discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
To see a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Hawaii, click here.
Finding a lower price on insurance is actually quite simple. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes comparing free Kahului car insurance quotes from some recommended companies.
It's so fast and easy to compare rates online that it takes the place of having to spend your day driving to different Kahului agent offices. The fact that you can get quotes online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless your situation requires the personal advice only provided by licensed Kahului agents. Although you can find lower rates online and have a local Kahului agent actually service the policy.
The following companies offer price quotes in Kahului, HI. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 4WD||$592||$296||$49|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$728||$364||$61|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$938||$469||$78|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$938||$469||$78|
|Ford Edge SE 2WD||$726||$363||$61|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$686||$343||$57|
|Ford Explorer Limited AWD||$800||$400||$67|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$826||$413||$69|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$600||$300||$50|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$774||$387||$65|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$988||$494||$82|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$882||$441||$74|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$866||$433||$72|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$910||$455||$76|
|Kia Optima EX||$804||$402||$67|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$870||$435||$73|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,020||$510||$85|
|Toyota Corolla S||$742||$371||$62|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in zip code location which can impact premiums considerably.
Auto insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and accident claims can drive up Nissan Sentra insurance premiums for different age categories. The premiums assume a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
How to lower your auto insurance prices
Lots of things are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although others are not as apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility. Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
Shown below are some of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your prices.
- Drive a fast car and pay more - The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Raise deductibles and save - Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, covers your vehicle from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be a windshield shattered by a rock, flood damage, or theft. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are required to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Use one insurance company and save - Lots of companies give better rates to policyholders who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it's in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to save more without the discount by splitting coverages up.
- Rates can be impacted by your occupation - Careers such as military generals, airline pilots, and financial analysts generally have higher rates than the rest of us because of job stress and long work hours. Other jobs like farmers, historians and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- Having a spouse can lower rates - Being married may save some money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are more responsible and insurance companies like that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost in Kahului, car insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will require you to have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $830 a year so shop around each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Cheaper insurance in Kahului is attainable from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so get free Kahului car insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not offer rates over the internet and many times these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agencies.
We just showed you some good ideas how you can lower your insurance rates in Kahului. It's most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a small local company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
While you're price shopping online, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional information can be found below:
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Hawaii Car Insurance Rates for Seniors? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Dodge Ram in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in Hawaii? (FAQ)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)